Sunday 20 April 2014

Learning to Knit

I remember my mom teaching herself to knit when I was in my early teens.  She struggled through making an afghan for each of her 4 children.  It took her approximately a year for the first one.  As she became more confident she sped up and finished mine, the last one, in about 4 months.  I remember how happy I was when I finally received my white and yellow afghan.  I still have it some 30 odd years latter.  Other than a few frayed ends from our rabbit Bunbun trying to eat through it, its still as cozy as the first day.

As a teenager I knitted scarves but that was the extent of dalliance with knitting.  As I mentioned when talking about learning to crochet, the desire to create something warm and soft seemed to blossom at the same time my little Sarah was getting ready to make her appearance in the world.  My first project however was to make a surprise Christmas present, a jumper - sweater for you North Americans :-) - for my then husband Rob.  Being a surprise present I didn't take Rob's measurements but guessed at his size.  Rob's tall but thin.  I figured to fit his arms I should make the XL size.  When Rob tried it on he looked like a boy in his Daddy's clothes!  If he put on an extra 50 pounds it may have fit!


After that I decided maybe I should try something smaller.  My next project was to make a little hoodie for my daughter who was now 18 months old.  As you can see this one turned out well!  I was very proud of this jumper.  Especially the front 'invisible' pocket.  Getting my head around knitting patterns definitely was, and still can be, a challenge. I made this one for a 3 year old so that Sarah would get some wear out of it.


My next project was to make a lovely little cardigan and beret style hat for Sarah in shades of pink and burgundy wool.  I loved this set and Sarah still wears the beret in the winter.


 





 Here is my next project.  The wool is slightly sparkly and Sarah really loved this extra special quality to the wool.  Like any little girl anything that sparkles is wonderful.


This jumper was made even cuter with the lovely button left over from an old project of my mother's.






No comments:

Post a Comment