Sunday 20 April 2014

Harry Potter Themed Party

Harry Potter Themed Birthday Party

A few years ago my daughter decided she wanted to have a Harry Potter themed birthday party.  Being a big Harry Potter geek myself I was right into the idea.  I got a lot of my ideas from the My Harry Potter Party web site were she did a fabulous job.
 



I thought I'd share some of the things I created so that you could use them for your party too!


We used a bed sheet (with a slit in the centre to make it easy for the children to enter) that I'd painted a red brick pattern on using a sponge to symbolise the wall the children walk through at Kings Cross Station.  We also printed the 9 3/4 sign on our plotter printer (A3 size paper) and painted the frame and lettering in gold paint.




Through out the house we had images from the movie.  'The Fat Lady' was hung on the sitting room door to represent the entrance to the Gryffindor common room.


A ghostly image of Moaning Myrtle along with a picture of the stained glass mermaid from HPGoF movie were hung in the bathroom.

When the guests arrived they were all brought to Diagon Alley to select their wands, Charms & Spells books and Potion Books for their classes

The information in these books was down loaded from The Harry Potter Lexicon and put in book format.  You can download my PDF flies for the Charms and Spells book and the Potions book.  


Durning the day we had great fun with Professor Trelawney giving a Divination Class....




Professor Lupin taught DADA but I think the favourite class of the day was by far Potions class.....





I was surprised at how well the children got into the world of HP asking 'Are these really dried crocodile hearts?' and being really grossed out by the puffer fish eyes (small pickled cocktail onions with red dye in the liquid).  I made sure that certain ingredients would react well so that potions would boil and explode (mixing baking soda and vinegar does this well)  They had great fun and I can assure you that the kitchen was quite a mess after this class!  You can down load the labels I made here.


For the party goodie bags I decide to take the children on a visit to Honeydukes Sweet Shop so they could pick up their own candies. Licorice wands and chocolate frogs were a great hit!






HoneyDukes Shop sign


 





Labels for sweets

The chocolate frogs were a lot fun (and work) to make.  My daughter had some HP video games that awarded you chocolate frog cards for achieving certain things.  I copied these on the computer and printed up one for each box.  The boxes I found on the Internet and you can down load a pdf copy here.
Chocolate frogs





No comments:

Post a Comment